Sunday, October 13, 2013

Potato Soup // Crockpot Style

Fall makes me crave soup.
My all-time favorite soup is baked potato soup - I would to order it from every restaurant that served it. Unfortunately for me, most baked potato soup uses a flour roux, which I cannot have. This version is made in a crock pot and is super easy to make!
Potato Soup
recipe adapted from Mama Loves Food!
Ingredients:
5 pounds russet potatoes
1 large yellow onion
10 garlic cloves
64 ounces chicken stock
16 ounces cream cheese (softened)
1 tablespoon salt (plus more, to taste)
Garnish options: sour cream, shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, scallions, apples, pecans
Don't worry, I stirred in the onions :)
Directions:
Wash (do not peel) and dice potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
Dice onions and mince garlic cloves.
Add potatoes, onion, garlic, salt, and chicken stock to crock pot.
Cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 10 hours.
Add the cream cheese to the crock pot and blend ingredients with an immersion blender. (If you do not have an immersion blender {get one, they are awesome!} you can use a regular blender to combine the ingredients.)
Taste and season with additional salt if needed.
Top with your choice of garnishes and enjoy!
sharp cheddar / bacon / scallions
Although I enjoyed the soup the first night, I felt like it was missing something. The second night I added apples to the soup and it was perfect!
white cheddar / apples / honey roasted pecans
What is your favorite soup or stew?
 photo 350bd18c-51d0-4b18-95a4-836dd2da11f2_zps5720b10d.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
I'd love to hear from you!