Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fall Breakfast Quinoa

I love quinoa as a savory dish and I have finally found a way to enjoy it on the sweeter side. It has just the right amount of sweet and spice and the perfect crunch. I think this will be my new warm breakfast treat.
Fall Breakfast Quinoa
Ingredients
1/2 cup almond milk (or any other milk)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed)
1/4 cup & 2 tbl pureed pumpkin
2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped apples
chopped pecans
 
Directions
Combine almond milk, water, and quinoa and bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
Fluff with fork, then stir in pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
Once combined, fold in pecans and apples.
*if you are like me and don't have pumpkin pie spice just combine:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp of ground ginger
1/8 tsp of nutmeg
1/8 tsp of allspice or cloves
 
I'm linking up with Jessica and Ashley for Taste of Tuesday.

 photo 350bd18c-51d0-4b18-95a4-836dd2da11f2_zps5720b10d.jpg


3 comments:

  1. I never thought to have quinoa for breakfast! I guess it's pretty similar to having oatmeal so I really need to try this! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try quinoa. I've never had it but see all these recipes that look delish!! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quinoa for breakfast is a great idea! So much protein to get the day started...I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
I'd love to hear from you!