Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Creamy Tomato Soup // Crock Pot Style

I'm sure that this soup is easy enough to make on the stove, but with a very active toddler, I have not had much success recently when I try to use the stove top or oven. I love that the crock pot just does it all for me once I fill it up.
This recipe involves a bit more work than most traditional slow cooker recipes, but it is well worth it.

Creamy Tomato Soup
adapted from Skinny Taste
Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup celery, finely diced
1 cup carrots, finely diced
1 cup onions, finely diced
28 oz can whole plum tomatoes (with juice)
1 tsp thyme
1/4 cup basil, roughly chopped
3 1/2 cups chicken stock, reduced sodium
Parmesan or Romano cheese rind
2 TBL unsalted butter
2 TBL flour
1/3 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
1 3/4 cups milk, warmed
salt & pepper to taste
Directions:
Heat a large pan and add oil, celery, carrots, and onions. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden. Add to slow cooker.
Add the entire can of tomatoes, crushing the tomatoes.
Then add the thyme, basil, chicken stock, and cheese rinds.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove the cheese rind and blend with an immersion blender.

Melt the butter over low heat in a large pan, then add the flour. Wisk constantly for 4 to 5 minutes. Slowly wisk in about a cup of the hot soup, then add the warmed milk and stir until smooth. Pour the contents of the pan back into the crock pot and stir. Add the cheese along with salt and pepper.

Cover and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
The only thing I will do differently next time is add in more fresh herbs towards the end for a flavor boost.

I'm linking up with Ashley and Jessica for Taste of Tuesday.


 photo 350bd18c-51d0-4b18-95a4-836dd2da11f2_zps5720b10d.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Tomato soup is my favorite, but I've never tried to make it at home. I think you just convinced me to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried homemade, but it looks like I definitely need to!! So yummy! Stopping by from Taste of tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tomato soup but have never tried it at home. The crock pot is definitely one of my favorite ways to cook, so I'll have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a great tomato soup recipe to make with grilled cheese. This one looks perfect!

    New follower from taste of tuesday :)
    Brittany @ http://infinityampersand.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
I'd love to hear from you!