Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pumpkin Carving

October is probably our favorite month as a family. We picked up pumpkins, but the toddler was not in the mood for pictures. Luckily for me, Lovey and a tombstone didn't argue with me.
One of my favorite parts of October festivities is pumpkin carving, even though I don't have a whole lot of patience for carving intricate designs. Last year was the first time that Sophia was big enough to participate (read about it here). This year instead of watching scary movies we watched Halloween cartoons - Little Einsteins and Curious George. Sophia had fun scooping out the pumpkin guts and drawing on the pumpkins. She did get rather upset that she couldn't cut into the pumpkins herself.
The finished products.
Roasted pumpkin seeds are my favorite part of carving pumpkins and they are super easy to make.
We don't have a set recipe, but they are so easy to make.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Rinse off the seeds, removing any large pieces of pulp.
In a large bowl, coat the seeds with melted butter or olive oil.
Season to your taste. We did one batch with just butter and salt. Our second batch was seasoned with butter, salt, old bay, and garlic powder.
Put seeds on a single layer on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven.
Roast until lightly browned and dried out, stirring occasionally.
Cooking time is approximately 30 minutes.

Thanks to Ashley and Jess for hosting The Little Things link up.
 photo 350bd18c-51d0-4b18-95a4-836dd2da11f2_zps5720b10d.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, she is soooo beautiful! I am LOVING her hair!
    Mia and I painted pumpkins yesterday and she loved it so much! Eric wants to carve a pumpkin (I hate carving!) so Mia will get to experience the best of both pumpkin worlds, HA! We'll find out of she hates it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pics!! And love all the pumpkin creations!!! Talented :-)
    it's my girls' world

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
I'd love to hear from you!